[ E s p a ñ o l ]
NGO Report to the 5th and 6th Periodic Report of Spain on the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC)
StopIGM.org / Zwischengeschlecht.org
During its 77th session in Geneva, the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC) will examine the human rights record of Spain as a contracting State party to the Convention on the Rights of the Child, to be transmitted live in English and Spanish on webtv.un.org next Monday 22.01.2018. >>> CRC Timeline Spain 2017-18
The international intersex human rights NGOs StopIGM.org and Brújula Intersexual submitted an extensive thematic intersex report to the Committee, providing solid evidence of how today in Spain healthy intersex children are still submitted to non-consensual, unnecessary genital surgeries, sterilising procedures and other harmful treatments that continue to be advocated, prescribed and perpetrated by state funded public University and Children¹s Clinics, promoted by Spanish medical associations and paid for by the National Health System (SNS), causing lifelong severe pain and suffering.
As the report further demonstrates, multiple University clinics are regularly hosting publicly advertised events practicing what they call “Live surgery” including partial clitoris amputation (e.g. in Barcelona) and penile cutting (e.g. in Malaga).
So far, in Spain only the Community of Madrid has enacted legislation aimed at preventing IGM. Law 2/2016 of the Community of Madrid states in art. 4 (3), “[…] genital surgeries of intersex persons without the informed consent of the person concerned or the need to ensure biological functionality for health reasons, are prohibited in the health services of the Community of Madrid.“ As the report shows, nonetheless Madrid’s public children’s hospitals continue to publicly advertise, perform and promote all forms of IGM practices – just the same as in the other autonomous Communities …
The intersex NGO report, the first of its kind for Spain, also includes 4 personal testimonies of Spanish survivors of IGM practices, and is available for download both in English and Spanish language editions:
• “Harmful Medical Practice”: UN, COE, ACHPR, IACHR condem IGM
• 28 UN Reprimands for Intersex Genital Mutilations – and counting …
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women’s Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Violation of Integrity
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common Forms
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents
IGM as a Harmful Practice: 2015 UN-CRC Briefing
• IGM: A Survivor’s Perspective • Intersex Movement History
• What are Variations of Sex Anatomy? • What are IGM Practices?
• IGM and Human Rights • Conclusion: IGM is a Harmful Practice
>>> Download PDF (3.14 MB) >>> Table of Contents
Eliminating IGM practices by holding the perpetrators accountable via well-established applicable human rights frameworks, including Inhuman Treatment and Harmful Practices – Presentation @ UN expert meeting on Intersex Human Rights