Intersex activist Daniela Truffer at the BanFGM conference in Rome, Italy, January 31, 2017. Photo: Emma Batha
“She told the BanFGM conference in Rome that there were parallels between IGM and FGM […].”
>>> Press agency report by Emma Batha for the Thomson Reuters Foundation republished around the world on occasion of StopIGM.org’s Daniela Truffer presenting on “Combatting intersex genital mutilation” during Session IV, which also covered medicalisation of FGM (>>> Programme PDF p. 5–6) at the international BanFGM Conference in Rome, called for by the Dakar Ministerial Sub-regional Consultation and organised by No Peace Without Justice and the Inter-African Committee on Traditional Practices Affecting the Health of Women and Children, in partnership with the African Women’s Forum, the Crans Montana Forum, Women Empower the World, AMREF Health Africa and Sénégambie.
As a result, the Final Declaration adopted by the BanFGM conference also mentions “intersex genital mutilations”.
A heartfelt thank-you to everybody who made this possible!
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC) 2015: IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) condemns IGM
• Historic 56th Session of Committee against Torture reprimands 4 Governments over IGM
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common Forms
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents
Eliminating IGM practices by holding the perpetrators accountable via well-established applicable human rights frameworks, including Inhuman Treatment and Harmful Practices – Presentation @ UN expert meeting on Intersex Human Rights in Geneva 26.–27.10.2015
>>> Download PDF (831kb)