>>> Yet another well-meant “Intersex Overview” paper (PDF) published on an LGBT page and aimed at “raising awareness”, that unfortunately does more harm than good.
On the bright side, it works just fine for playing INTERSEX APPROPRIATION BINGO:
- The paper frames IGM as “Intersex Medical Issues”, and the fight of intersex organisations to end IGM practices as “campaign for better treatment” – CHECK
- It claims “Some intersex people undergo [cosmetic genital] surgery during early childhood” vs. “Intersex people are often born with medical complications.” – CHECK
- It mentions “distress which can arise [after early IGM surgery] when the sex chosen by surgeons [later] contradicts an individual’s own instinctive feelings on the matter” – but NOT ONCE mentions distress because of the non-consensual nature of IGM – CHECK
- The ONLY legislation it proposes is NOT to end IGM, but “intersex people should have the legal right to determine their own gender” – CHECK
- On 14 pages, it NOT ONCE mentions “human rights” – CHECK
How much longer?!
• IGM = VIOLENCE and TORTURE, not “Health Care” or “Gender Identity”
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC) 2015: “IGM = Harmful Practice”
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: “IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture”
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) condems IGM
• Historic 56th Session of Committee against Torture reprimands 4 Governments over IGM
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!