From the “Nature” article >>> “The spectrum of sex development: Eric Vilain and the intersex controversy” [sic!]: “Then, as now, the usual practice was to operate.” – Quote by Eric Vilain: “You’re basically calling doctors torturers when they’re doing something considered standard medical practice.”
NEWS FLASH for IGM Clinicians: Actually, it’s not the “activists” maintaining Intersex Genital Mutilations constitute genital mutilation and a form of torture, but the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC), so far 4 times condemning IGM as a “harmful practice” (yes, just like FGM, also in many places considered as “standard practice”, and perpetrated in health care settings), and the UN Committee against Torture (CAT), so far 5 times condemning IGM as “inhuman treatment” in breach of the Convention against Torture, with both Committees insisting all contracting states must “take effective legislative, administrative, judicial or other measures” BOTH to outlaw the practice AND to ensure access of survivors to reparations and justice.
Telling, how these well established but obviously inconvenient facts were once more “omitted” in this “scientific” report …
• 10 Verdicts by UN Treaty Bodies Condemning IGM – And Counting …
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC) 2015: IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) condems IGM
• Historic 56th Session of Committee against Torture reprimands 4 Governments over IGM
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!