Wed 26 April 2017 10–13h CET + Thur 27 April 2017 15–18h CET live on webtv.un.org!
CAT60 NGO Meeting for Argentina @ Palais Wilson, Geneva 25.04.2017:
Mauro Cabral Grinspan (Justicia Intersex), Daniela Truffer and Markus Bauer (StopIGM.org)
NGO Report to the 6th and 7th Periodic Report of Argentina on the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CAT)
StopIGM.org / Zwischengeschlecht.org
Justicia Intersex / StopIGM.org
NGO Oral Statement CAT60 Argentina, 25.04.2017
Presented by Daniela Truffer [Excerpt]
«[…] [T]he […] personal testimonies in our report  prove that IGM inflicts lifelong severe pain and suffering also in Argentina.
As further substantiated in our report  in Argentina all forms of IGM practices persist, advocated by state bodies, public paediatric hospitals and medical associations, facilitated and paid for by the State, establishing involvement of State officials.
Despite criticism by the National Institute Against Discrimination (INADI) , the child protection agency Asesoria General Tutelar (AGT) , the Ministry of Health of the Buenos Aires Province  and others, the government fails to take appropriate legislative, administrative and other measures to protect intersex children from involuntary harmful medical practices, that would never be tolerated on “normal” children, and refuses IGM survivors the right to justice, redress and compensation, further establishing intention and purpose of discrimination.
[…] Thus, all requirements for torture according to article 1 of the Convention are established. 
This Committee has consistently recognised IGM to constitute at least ill-treatment under the Convention, and articles 2, 12, 14 and 16 as applicable. 
We thus ask the Committee to sternly remind also Argentina of its obligations under mentioned articles of the Convention, and General Comments 2 and 3, and would like to refer to our suggested recommendations in our report  […].
 Cases 1-5, page 19-22
 Page 7-14, 16
 See page 8
 Ministerio de Salud de la Provincia de Buenos Aires: “Guía para Personal de Salud sobre Salud
Sexual y Reproductiva y Prevención de la Violencia hacia Población LGTB”, page 12, 21-22
 Page 15
 CAT/C/DEU/CO/5; para 20; CAT/C/CHE/CO/7, para 20; CAT/C/AUT/CO/6, paras 44-45; CAT/C/DNK/CO/6-7, paras 42–43; CAT/C/FRA/CO/7, paras 32-33
 Page 18
CAT Timeline Argentina 2017:
• 20 March 2017: Thematic NGO Report by Justicia Intersex / StopIGM.org for the 60th CAT session.
• Tue 25 April 2017, 17–18h CET: NGO Briefing (closed).
• Wed 26 April 2017, 10–13h CET = 05–8h in Argentina
+ Thur 27 April 2017, 15–18h CET = 10–13h in Argentina
Review of Argentina during the 60th CAT Session,
hopefully with tough Q&A on IGM
– to be transmitted live on webtv.un.org!
(plus soon after on demand)
• 12 May 2017 or soon after: Concluding observations for Argentina, hopefully with another severe reprimand for IGM practices.
• 23 UN Reprimands for IGM – and counting …
• “Harmful Medical Practice”: UN, COE, ACHPR, IACHR condem IGM
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC) 2015: IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) condemns IGM
• 56th Session of Committee against Torture reprimands 4 Governments for IGM
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common Forms
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents
Eliminating IGM practices by holding the perpetrators accountable via well-established applicable human rights frameworks, including Inhuman Treatment and Harmful Practices – Presentation @ UN expert meeting on Intersex Human Rights