After the Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC) already reprimanded Chile for IGM practices in 2015, now also the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) issued a clear reprimand to the State party, again on the grounds of Art. 17 CRPD “Protecting the integrity of the person”.
StopIGM.org warmly welcomes these latest binding recommendations to undertake the necessary legislative steps to end all involuntary non-urgent genital surgery and other procedures on intersex children:
“Protecting the integrity of the person (art. 17)
41. The Committee is concerned by the fact that sterilizations continue to be performed in the State party on persons with disabilities, especially women and girls, without their free and informed consent and at the mere request of their families or guardians, and by evidence that the procedure is commonly performed on persons with psychosocial disabilities admitted to psychiatric centres.
42. The Committee requests the State party to amend Act No. 20.584 and Decree No. 570 to require in all cases, without exception, the free and informed consent of persons with disabilities, including those whose legal capacity has been revoked, as an essential prerequisite for any surgery or medical treatment, especially those of an invasive nature and whose effects are irreversible, such as sterilization and procedures on intersex children.”
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women’s Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Violation of Integrity
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common Forms
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents